I am responsible for the following:
1. All instructional programs in grades K-8.
2. I am responsible for all school personel and evaluation all of them.
3. Submitting reports to the state on discipline, school improvement plan, professional developemnet grant, and the school emergency plan.
4. In charge of all school discipline.
5. I am the athletic director for the school.
6. In charge of school community relations.
7. I am the instructional leader for the school.
8. I am the expulsion hearing officer for the corporation.
9. Respsonsible for the school making AYP on state ISTEP TEST.
10. Responsible for some of the school budget.
11. Attendance officer for the school.
12. Over see building and grounds.
Actual Career: Principal
Education / Teaching / Administration
Education / Training
INDIANA, Central RegionRequired Level of Education:
Actual Level of Education:
Field of Study:
Industrial Technology Ed./Administration
Name of Educational Institue:
Indiana State University (IN)
Type of Educational Institute:
Length of Time in Career:
Annual Earnings, 1st Year:
Annual Earnings, Last Year:
70,000 – 80,000
Required Travel Amount:
Actual Comments from the holder of this Actual Career
How do you feel about this Actual Career?
It is a very challenging career, that has a lot of personal rewards when your students and teachers suceed. There is also a lot of added stress from state test scores and making Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) .
Was your degree helpful in your career field?
In your opinion, what kind of education did you need to get this career?
First a BS degree in education followed by a Master degree in education. I then obtained a Secondary Adminastration License and a Elementary Adminastration license.
Experience, Skills, Specialized Training, Licenses, or Certifications:
All of my education and experience as a teacher (13 years) has helped prepare me for the job of being a Principal. I have been principal for 13 years. Having good leadership skills is a must as well as being a good listener. There are many responsiblities a principal must meet, but the most important one is to be the instructional leader in the school. It is also important to know and understand school law and to keep current with it.
Just one more thing….
For me to be a building level Principal, I had to earn a BS and Master Degree in education. Then I had to earn an administrative license at the secondary and elementary levels. This is what the law required at that time. The requirements have changed over the years. A person interested should check with their university to get the requirements to earn the license.